Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sharleen OneShot

sharoneshotsmall2-1.jpg picture by Juliett726

I shot a girlfriend of one of my boyfriend's buddies. She just moved up here from San Diego, didn't really know anyone so I thought she would be a perfect stranger.  I asked if she wouldn't mind me taking just one photo of her and we agreed to shoot at night (her favorite time of the day). We met at happy hour and chatted for a long time before we started the shoot. It was a great experience for me because I don't do portraiture. I shoot models (period!). I found myself wanting to direct the way the shoot was going to go. Then I would step back and ask what she would like and what her expectations were. We had a great time chatting and I learned that we have a lot of the same interests. I also learned that although she is a very colorful person she is also pretty reserved and likes to be in the shadows. It was a great way to get to know a stranger and a good exercise in shooting with the person's essence in mind.

- Juliette

1 comment:

AAU GRAD PHOTO said...

very nice capture, juliette. soft and moody and a great use of natural light