Friday, February 20, 2009

Israel: A Culture at War















































































Israel: A Culture at War
By Kevin Michael Schmitz

Israel is a place that I will never forget.  I just returned a few weeks ago from shooting for 4 magazine editorials to be published in Europe and America about the people and the landscapes of Israel at a time of war.  

Professor James Chiang requested that I share my work with you.  My name is Kevin Michael Schmitz and I am an advertising and editorial photographer in Manhattan Beach that shoots between LA and NY.  

I began my journey in January at the beginning of the Gaza offensive by the IDF.  I entered the West Bank and photographed the Wailing Wall of the second temple (Built in 19 B.C.) in Jerusalem. The feeling of being in the most pivotal cultural and religious holy land in the world was awe inspiring.  The ancient walls, fortresses and temples were like nothing that I have ever experienced in my life.  The human response to these religious symbols was amazing to capture as I stood at the base of the wailing wall and photographed a Hasidic Jewish Rabbi.  

The people were so fascinating to speak to as well as to photograph. What I knew about the middle east as a naive American changed completely by spending time in Israel.  I learned so much about why the conflict exists, and the historical premise to which it began.  The stark racism within the country was very apparent as well as the discrepancy between the middle class and the poor.  I feel as though the outside world has been shown a very distorted perspective on the situation in Gaza and the West Bank through the media both in the Western Culture as well as in Gaza.  The conflict is far more complex and unending than many in the outside world believe.  

The most memorable experience was  climbing the ancient fortress of Masada as I photographed the sunrise over the Dead Sea (The Lowest Point on Earth).  I traveled to Tiberius and the Sea of Galilee, the Golan Heights, Tel Aviv, the Port of Old Jaffa, and rode camels through the NeGev Desert while I photographed a muslim Bedouin Nomadic People.  

Despite major conflicts in Gaza, as well as from Lebanon in the north, I have been able to capture striking portraits of the people, landscapes, ancient cityscapes, and documentary images of a culture at war.   Being in a military state at war and being attacked is something that I will never forget.  I hope you enjoy these initial images of the more than 4,000 that I have photographed. If you would like to see more of my editorial, fine art or advertising work, please checkout my website at www.KevinSchmitz.com

Kevin Michael Schmitz
NY  646.201.6768
LA  310.808.4565
www.KevinSchmitz.com
Kevin@KevinSchmitz.com













5 comments:

Agathe PHILBÉ said...

Hi Michael,

I have never been to Israel. I hope I'll go someday, and visit other states in the area - and hopefully there will be more peaceful states there in the future, and less unstable "territories".

In my country (France) like in many others around the world, people talk about the conflict in the area. They take side, criticize, scream, protest, and become violent. Yes, sensitive issue.

From what I could guess you've been there on a birthright trip -lucky you ! But I have to say I am very surprised to read that you've learnt during these 10 days about "why the conflict exists and the historical premise to which it began".

Unlike what you seem to believe, many people in the "outside world" (??!) think that the conflict is very complex. They'd be pleased to know that one can understand "why" in a couple of weeks. As for the distorted perspective on the situation in Gaza (I am sure it is), I wish you could then give us more details about what the non-distorted perspective is. Have you been to Gaza?


Also, I am not sure what you mean by "a culture at war"? Isreali culture? Jewish culture? Religious culture, national culture? threatened by who, by what? at war against what -another culture?

I tend to think that 'culture' is the exact opposite of war; because it is what we share, because it is a common heritage -wherever you are-, I thought it was what can prevent war, or make it end... I don't know, maybe you should be more careful with words?


Agathe

AAU GRAD PHOTO said...

I appreciate the in depth comments on this photographic experience. It was interesting that you didn't mention anything about the subject of the posting: The Photographs.
As far as the Title, I believe that it eludes to how the Israeli Culture as a nation is threatened by war. The cultures within the nation such as the Arabs and the Jews are conflicting with each other. They are threatened by the existence of each other and the deep hatred that has grown from thousands of years of war. I believe the last 60 years of the country of Israel that was put there by outside influences after the second world war, definitely escalated the problems to another level. The blockades of the Gaza border by IDF forces has led to the missile launchings into the Israeli state in places such as Ashdod and Ashkelon. The last 8 years of bombardment from the Hamas with rockets fired randomly into the country hitting schools, universities and open land has ignited the war to its current level. The Israelis fear that a border opening on the Egyptian front would allow for massive weapon smuggling from Saudi Arabia and Iran into Gaza, creating a major nuclear standoff. The Israelis keep the border closed and the ports sealed. This pushes the Hamas to fire upon Israel, which leads to attacks on the Hamas from the IDF.
I don't believe culture prevents war, in fact I believe it tends to ignite war. The common beliefs among the Arabic people is that Israel is not a nation, and never has been. The Arab world rejects Israel within their culture, including many Arabs within Israel.
Israeli culture looks down upon arabs, and fuels a racism between the poor bedouin village people and the middle class Israeli Jewish people. I would encourage you to travel there yourself to see first hand the life of an Israeli.

Agathe PHILBÉ said...

Could you please sign your comment ? It's better to write such things without being anonymous; I don't think this was Michael answering to my comment, or was it?

Agathe

Agathe PHILBÉ said...

so again Michael (since I guess it was you writing back),

I am very glad to hear that after 10 days there on a birthright trip you can speak for "the Arab world" and about "the common beliefs among the Arabic people"... I also would like to know what a group of more than 320 million people -living in 25 different countries- think ! lucky you !...

Regarding the "Arabs and the Jews" that are "threatened by the existence of each other", a lot of Arab Jews would not be happy to read that ! (yes, you can be an Arab and be Jewish ! I'd recommend reading the excellent book by Yehouda Shenav, "The Arab Jews" / Stanford University Press).

so that was my whole point from the beginning -maybe with sensitive issues like that, that are much bigger than us, you should be careful with words ?


Agathe

Anonymous said...

ooohhh snap!!!