Saturday, February 21, 2009

One Shot

I just moved to a new apartment and I didn’t have the opportunity yet to meet any of my neighbors. I thought that the “One shot” assignment would be a good excuse to get on with someone of the building.  A lot of times I hear someone playing music in the apartment next to mine. Sometimes I hear the piano and other times someone playing the guitar.  I had no idea if the musician was a man or a woman, a young or an old person. I didn’t know either if he or she was a multi-skilled artist or if there was more than one musician living in the same place. So I decided to ring the bell of the apartment number 5 and for the ten seconds that I was waiting in front of the door, thousands of questions came into my head: Is this person living alone? Is her or him obsessed with cats? Is this person really a professional musician or does he/she play for fun? If she is a woman, do I have something in common with her? If he is a man, is he the man of my life? …

Anyway, someone open the door and I could see Michael, a charming old man with an indelible smile. We were talking for a while and it was so funny to discover that we have more in common that I could imagine. He never traveled to Spain, my country, but he is a huge fan of Flamenco music. We were talking about Camaron and Paco de Lucía, Billie Holliday or Stan Getz, while he was playing the guitar in his living room.  

 

Rus

 

No comments: